Skip to main content
Wikispaces Classroom is now free, social, and easier than ever.
Try it today.
Parental Involvement Ning
21st Century Strategies
My Personal Wiki
Welcome to Session 10 of the EDUC 297-ENL Linguistics class
Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language
“Syntax” – Language and Identity (p.400 – 418 and syntax article on the Ning - 2 pages)
Discussion on Ning: Main thing you took away from the reading and class discussion this week.
Check this blog post on
Challenges for ELLs in Content Area Learning
and reply to the blog with your comments
Check this blog post
Strategies for teaching grammar to ENLs
how to help students improve their syntax both in their speaking and writing and reply to the blog with your comments
to check idioms from other languages and add some of your own.
to add your response to the readings. Comment on two others.
to download the notes for Syntax
to view the video on Text and Tweets~ Myths and Realities and download the article on Internet and Linguistics by David Crystal
by The Economist is a good ready reference
for an entertaining read on the subject of grammar and complete three of the exercises
Email Reflection paper
Email Final Paper
Discussion on Ning: Main thing you took away from the reading and class discussion this week
Resources and Links:
- a blog dedicated to venting about errors in syntax in headlines or newspaper articles
Write Effectively, Not Just Correctly
~ website that is designed to help teachers learn how to effectively teach ESL students how to write correctly and efficiently. They have wonderful examples of how to improve writing techniques.
Grammar - Verb/Tense between Spanish/English
- This article has some
common examples of problems that Spanish speaking students may have when learning English. It's good to look at so we can see why they have problems with certain sentence formations and then be able to help them fix it.
The differences between English and Spanish
- This gives some common examples of problems that Spanish speaking students may have when learning English. It's good to look at so we can see why they have problems with certain sentence formations and then be able to help them fix it.
Grammar/Syntax Error Examples/
- This blog gives various examples of newspaper headlines and other things where there are grammatical errors and WHY they don't work exactly. Giving real life examples like this in the classroom would make the lesson interesting for the ENL students and see the correct way to speak or write. It also helps them see that even English speakers get words messed up at times and have problems with grammar and syntax.
Grammar and vocabulary for beginning ENL kids
- This is a wonderful website for grammar and vocabulary for beginning ENL kids. I want you to look in the left hand side for grammar quizzes. There are a variety of quizzes for easy, medium and difficult levels. Click around and see what you can find. There are some good quizzes/activities to use!
Using Song to help learn Syntax in the ESL classroom
- This website talks about how song is a useful tool to use to teach syntax in ESL classrooms. By being able to hear the whole sentence the student is able to absorb grammar and syntax subconsciously. This is a great idea and a fun way for students to learn.
Activities to develop grammar(syntax and morphology)
- This website shows a list of activies for syntax.
Developing Semantic Knowledge
-This website has a list of 15 different activities that ENL teachers can do to help our students develop semantic knowledge. I think incorporating games like these into the classroom make learning more effective for students rather than having them take notes on definitions and examples. This way students can work to develop meaning rather than having it handed to them verbatim.
~ this website gives a great explanation of what syntax is and also gives some great examples of synatx sentences.
~ This link takes you to quizzes online that ENL students are able to play and know English Vocab. I thought this was a good tool for ENL students to be able to do on their own and it evaluates their answers right away.
you need to stop misspelling
Best practices for integrating technology into English language instruction
This source highlights some best practices for teaching ENL students. It gives specific examples of classroom practices that are helpful such as presenting background information and using visual aids, and it also discusses the benefits of using technology in an ENL classroom.
Humanising Language Teaching
This source outlines the advantages and disadvantages of using technology to teach ENL students. It discusses what makes using technology difficult, and then it outlines specific problems to technology in the classroom followed by a number of advantages to technology in the ENL classroom
The scope of internet linguistics
This source discusses the idea that the Internet provides a completely different form of communication and must be treated that way. It gives examples of Internet communication such as blogging and text language, and it explains how Internet communication can be used positively or negatively.
Watch this song ~ a great tool for learning. This song is specifically aimed towards rhyming and phoneme awareness.
Following this song students could discuss what rhyming words they heard and try to determine similar words or rhyming patterns.
"Prefixes, Suffixes, & Roots" Rap
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"